Open gardens in Dorset - August 2017
PUBLISHED: 11:17 31 July 2017
From tropical exotics to classic cottage, there are some unusual late summer gardens opening for the NGS in Dorset this month
10 Brookdale Close
New to the NGS this 50ft x 70ft garden with wildlife pond features a kaleidoscope of colour, combining both the tropical and cottage garden. Tree ferns and bananas rub shoulders with lilies and beautiful perennials, with the unusual and unexpected planted amongst them.
• Open: 20 & 21 August, 2- 6pm (22 Holt Road, Branksome, BH12 1JQ, also open on 20 August)
• Where: Broadstone, BH18 9AA
Summer at this old thatched cottage is a riot of colour and scent with unusual annuals and perennials attracting an abundance of wildlife.
• Open: 6, 13 & 20 August, 2-6pm
• Where: Woodville, Stour Provost, SP8 5LY
This traditional farmhouse garden has been designed and cared for by three generations of the Trehane family. Herbaceous borders and rose beds, mature shrubbery with water and bog gardens. Dorset Hardy Plant Society stall.
• Open: 12 & 13 August, 1-5pm
• Where: Hampreston, Wimborne, BH21 7LX
A surprising find on a hilltop above Swanage, this sunken garden features drystone terraces with a wide variety of original plants and grasses attracting butterflies and bees. Look out for pieces of mediaeval London Bridge lurking in the walls!
• Open: Every Wednesday until 30 August, 2-5.30pm
• Where: 25 Newton Road, Swanage, BH19 2EA
44 Lower Blandford Road
This plantaholic’s paradise, new to the NGS, is full of unusual and rare exotics. Paths lead to an Abbotsbury-inspired colonial summerhouse and water feature surrounded by tree ferns and shade loving planting.
• Open: 5, 6, 26 & 27 August, 1-5pm
• Where: Broadstone, BH18 8NY
The Old Rectory
Four acres of formal and informal gardens, circular herbaceous borders for late summer colour and dahlia garden. Flourishing bog garden, pond, fernery and woodland walks Mostly wheel chair accessible, dogs on leads welcome.
• Open: 6 August, 2-5pm.
• Where: Pulham, Dorchester DT2 7EA
Plantsman’s tropical paradise with giant gunneras, towering bamboo and over 100 palm trees, leads into a floral extravaganza, full of scent and colour. Wheelchair access avoiding the steps can be arranged on arrival.
• Open 30 July, 6 & 13 August. 2-5pm
• Where: Newmans Lane, West Moors, Ferndown, BH22 0LW
25 Richmond Park Avenue
Town garden with colourful herbaceous borders and fragrant courtyard garden sparkling with vibrant Mediterranean planting. A cascading waterfall connects two wildlife ponds.
• Open: 3 August, 1-5pm
• Where: Bournemouth, BH8 9DL
This former quarryman’s cottage stands in the centre of a lovingly created garden with streams and ponds edged with nectar-rich plants which attract a myriad butterflies and bees. Shady walks snake through birch and willow, with views to Corfe Castle.
• Open: 5 August, 12-4pm
• Where: Scotland heath, Norden, Near Corfe Castle BH20 5DY