Open gardens in Dorset - October 2016
PUBLISHED: 11:22 29 September 2016 | UPDATED: 11:30 29 September 2016
Make time to explore these wonderful local gardens which are at their most dazzling at this time of year
5 glorious autumn gardens to explore
• Minterne: These gardens lie in valley landscaped in the 18th century; a mile of walks, with cascades and streams, reveals an exceptional collection of rhododendrons and shrubs including acers which are at their most dazzling in autumn. Gardens open daily until 9 November.
• Mapperton: Romantic Italianate valley garden includes some stunning specimen trees with glorious autumn colour. Open daily until 31 October.
• Forde Abbey: 30 acres of gardens landscaped in 18th century with many specimen trees chosen for their autumn colours. Garden open daily.
• Sherborne Castle Gardens: This Grade 1 listed garden was one of Capability Brown’s first commissions. Rolling landscapes, sweeping lawns and majestic specimen trees surround the 50-acre lake where their breathtaking autumn colour is beautifully reflected.
• Compton Acres: This 10 acre garden created in 1920s features five different themed areas. At this time of year the Japanese Garden, one of the finest in the country, is at its most glorious when the acers’ autumn colour is reflected in the pool by the Tea House.
2 NGS gardens to admire this autumn
Edmondsham House: Six acres of mature gardens, glorious views, magnificent trees and shaped hedges surround this 16th-18th Century house. The large Victorian walled garden is very productive, and managed organically. Wide herbaceous borders are planted for seasonal colour.
• Open: 5, 12 & 19 October, 2-5pm.
• Where: Wimborne, BH21 5RE
Frankham Farm: In spring this lovely garden surrounding a working farm welcomed a guest whose entrance fee made the total amount raised for the NGS since 1982 (when the garden first opened) £20,000! Admire unusual shrubs and trees from around the world in their autumn glory at its final open day for 2016, then tuck into home produced pulled pork and sausage lunches and homemade teas.
• Open: 16 October, 11.30 - 5pm.
• Where: Ryme Intrinseca, Sherborne, DT9 6J