Christmas Recipe: Cheese and Walnut Biscotti
PUBLISHED: 12:00 17 December 2019
Dorset’s award-winning Baking Bird, Lizzie Crow, shows us how to make locally inspired bakes that are the perfect Christmas gift – this week, we’re making cheese and walnut biscotti…
Cheese & Walnut Biscotti
Makes 25 biscuits
In this recipe I use Francis - a pungent, washed rind cheese made by James McCall at James's Cheese at Gold Hill Organic Farm in Child Oakford (jamesscheese.co.uk). You could also try strong Cheddar or hard sheeps cheese, you are looking for a cheese with some flavour. These savoury biscotti are great with a cheeseboard or for dips.
80g grated James's Francis cheese
180g strong white flour (Stoates is great if you can get it)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon Dorset Sea Salt
2 tablespoon rapeseed oil
50g walnuts roughly broken
1. Put the oven on Gas Mark 4/180°C and line a large baking tray.
2. Mix grated cheese, flour, polenta, baking powder, nuts and salt together.
3. Whisk the eggs with milk and oil and add to the wet ingredients. Stir until they are all combined. Pull everything into a ball.
4. Cut the dough in two pieces and shape it into logs, approx 3cm wide and 1cm thick. Place on the baking tray.
5. Bake the logs for 25 minutes, until golden on top. Take them out of the oven and allow them to cool (10 minutes) before slicing into biscuits (about 1cm wide). Scatter the biscuits on the baking tray and put them back in the oven for 10 minutes. Turn them halfway through
6. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely then put in an air-tight jar, decorated with a label on a ribbon.