Sam Chapman and Nic Haste: From home video to Hollywood glamour
09:32 10 February 2017
British beauty vloggers Sam and Nic - aka Pixiwoo – have bought out a DVD about recreating the looks of Hollywood’s screen goddesses. Katie Wright meets the busy mums behind the make-up brushes
They may not be household names (yet), but as online ‘influencers’ go sisters Sam Chapman and Nic Haste are nothing short of megastars. Their YouTube channel, called Pixiwoo, has more than two million subscribers, who flock every Thursday to catch the latest make-up tutorial, documenting the fruits of recent shopping expeditions by these Norwich-based mums, who both trained as make-up artists.
The siblings’ latest project - Hollywood Icons, a DVD documentary shot on location in LA, explores the make-up methods used on screen goddesses such as Marilyn Monroe and Marlene Dietrich. The duo, who posted their first vlog eight years ago, split their time between vlogging, designing their bestselling Real Techniques brush range, and working on special projects like the DVD and their new book, Face - as well as mummy duties. “I’ve literally just got back from spending two hours at my daughter’s school making bird feeders,” Sam reveals, chuckling. “We spend half of every video with no make-up on, so it’s really not a stretch to leave the house with no make-up on,” she adds.
Nic agrees: “We want make-up to be something you love, not a hindrance.”
So what are the beauty products these busy mums adore?
Desert island must-haves
• Sam: I can’t be without moisturiser, so I’d take Embryolisse Lait-Creme Concentre Nourishing Moisturiser (£13, Boots), or a lip balm like Carmex Original (£2.69, Superdrug), I love red lipstick, so I’d take MAC Russian Red (£15.50, MACcosmetics.co.uk). It’s a classic.
• Nic: Dr Pawpaw Tinted Ultimate Red Balm (£6.99, DrPawpaw.com) I use it on my lips, eyelids, cheeks. YSL Volume Effet Mascara (£25, YSLbeauty.co.uk) is the best, and Hourglass Illume Sheer Colour Trio in Sunset (£50.40, John Lewis), because it has a cream highlighter, blusher and bronzer.
• Nic: Maybelline Age Rewind Eye Concealer (£7.99, Superdrug) gives really good coverage without being really thick.
• Sam: Maybelline Brow Drama Sculpting Mascara (£4.99, Boots), it’s like a mascara for your eyebrows and the colours are really good.
• Sam: Always spend your money on a good foundation, because the ingredients make a massive difference. The new Hourglass Vanish Seamless Finish Foundation Stick (£42, Space NK) is like silk on your face.
• Nic: MAC Hush Cream Colour Base (£17, MACcosmetics.co.uk) I’ve still yet to find a better highlighter.