Dorset locations that feature in Broadchurch
PUBLISHED: 10:09 11 April 2017
Kudos/Imaginary Friends/Sister Pictures/ITV
Broadchurch is back on our screens with a gripping new storyline and some great Dorset locations, as Visit Dorset reveals
West Bay, situated on the coastline of West Dorset, played a starring role alongside David Tennant and Olivia Colman in ITV’s hit drama Broadchurch, which first hit our screens in 2013. The spectacular East Cliff and beach feature prominently throughout all three series and were integral to setting the mood of the award-winning drama. Broadchurch was created by local writer Chris Chibnall who described Broadchurch “as a love letter to the scenery of the Jurassic Coast which uses key West Dorset landmarks as part of its story.” and it’s easy to see why! Visit Dorset has produced a Broadchurch Trail and we’ve picked out some of the key locations. So if you’re a Broadchurch fan you can retrace the footsteps of the characters you’ve avidly followed.
• West Cliff - Many scenes were shot from this cliff, particularly in series 2, and it provides magnificent views across West Bay. Walk up the cliff and soak up the vista!
• Jurassic Pier & Harbour - This provided the setting for many scenes throughout each series due to its beautiful views across the coastline. Many publicity shots are also taken from here.
• Wessex Police Station - The Folly on West Quay provides the exterior for the Broadchurch police station.
• Hardy’s Riverside Home - Hardy’s blue beach chalet featured in series 2 and sits on the banks of the River Brit in West Bay, and offers views across the river, harbour and meadows behind.
• East Pier - East Pier has been used throughout each series, you’ll recognise the seats dotted along here as many scenes have been set from here.
• Harbour Cliff Beach - This is easily recognisable; the towering sandstone cliffs and beach are so symbolic to the show and feature prominently throughout the whole series. This is where Danny’s body was found in the very first episode.
Other locations within the surrounding areas
• Briar Cliff Hut (Eype) - Set on the cliffs at Eype with stunning views across the Jurassic Coast, the exterior of this privately owned hut was used for the murder scene of Danny Latimer.
• Susan Wright’s Caravan (Freshwater) - Freshwater Beach Holiday Park provided the setting for Susan Wright’s caravan, in series 1 & 2. Many of the cast and crew also stayed here whilst filming.
• Beach Huts (Charmouth) - The beach huts which featured throughout the second series are located on Charmouth beach. This was the location for several scenes between Claire and Lee, Claire and Ellie and also where Mark and Beth met Jocelyn out for her walk.
• Lee Ashworth’s hideout (Puncknowle) - The Knoll at Puncknowle provided the location for many scenes with Lee and Claire Ashworth in series 2. The Knoll is located on the coast road between West Bay and Abbotsbury and has views over Lyme Bay and inland over West Dorset’s rolling countryside.
New locations for series 3
• Flintcombe Farm Shop (Washingpool Farm, Bridport) - This is the shop where Trish works in series 3 and it’s located just outside Bridport. This is a beautiful local family owned farm shop set amongst the rolling West Dorset countryside.
• Axehampton House, Lake and Waterfall (Bridehead House, Littlebredy) - This is where Cath Atwood held her 50th birthday party and where Trish was assaulted in series 3. The manor house, lake and waterfall are different locations in the village of Littlebredy.
• Multi millionaire retailer Mr Selfridge’s secret Dorset life - Harry Gordon Selfridge spoiled women in his personal life the same way he did the female customers in his department store. But his love of dance girls, his ostentacious plans and lavish spending in Dorset heralded the start of his sad demise into penury