5 fun things to do at Buckham Fair 2017
PUBLISHED: 12:53 07 August 2017 | UPDATED: 12:56 07 August 2017
Jay Williams 2009
From dog and duck capers to a marching band, there is plenty to enjoy at this fundraising event
Buckham Fair is the wonderful dog and pony themed event hosted by Martin and Philippa Clunes on their farm just outside Beaminster on 20 August. This year Buckham Fair is raising money for Dorset & Somerset Air Ambulance.
1. Amazing Animal Capers: There is a very regal parade by the Welsh Corgi League, and the Southern Golden Retriever Society’s Display Team will also be putting their best paw forward. Then marvel at the working partnership between One Man and his Gun Dogs. Also in the display ring are the Camargue Horse and Wormwood Scrubs Pony Centre riding team, while Adventures in Clydesdale show how elegant these magnificent heavy horses can be.
2. Marvellous Marching Band: HMS Heron Royal Navy Volunteer Band will be filling the air with some stirring tunes including popular classics, film music, selections from West End shows and military marches.
3. Merion and his Quack Pack: Dog and duck come together with Merion Owen. He uses a combination of commands to guide his sheepdogs and cooperative (and sometimes uncooperative) Indian Runner ducks around a course that includes tunnels, slides and pens.
4. A Tour for the Taste Buds: From Dorset to India, Thailand to the Caribbean – this year’s food selection at Buckham Fair covers everything from wood-fired pizza to German Bratwurst via award-winning Dorset ice cream and locally brewed beer. So grab a Mediterranean mouthful or a homemade sausage roll, find a hay bale, and enjoy the view from Buckham Down.
5. Gorgeous Glad Rags: Apparently most women only wear 30% of their wardrobe, but would probably wear 50% of each others. Buckham Fair’s Pre Loved Charity Fashion marquee has clothing from high street to designer. So try on in their pop up changing rooms and snap up a fabulous fashion bargain.
• Things to do in Dorset this month - We round up some of the best events and things to do across Dorset this month